Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Perfect Example

At the beginning, I think it critical you see a perfect example of what is really possible with the Web. This site, http://www.ashesandsnow.org/ is a perfect blend of art, technology, and poetry in its design, execution, and realization. The artist challenges us through a remarkable use of both straight photography and image alteration. The vocal and music accompaniment take the viewer on a deep and complex journey, and show, in an elegant manner, what is really possible.

At no point does the artist cheapen the experience to pander to common denominators. He allows us two points of entry, acknowledging not all bandwidth is equal on the Web, so that no one has to miss out on the experience.

I urge you to go to http://www.ashesandsnow.org/ and experience the full effect. Let me know what you think about it, and let me know, as well, of other sites that raise the bar as this one does.


As always, more to come.

1 comment:

  1. The main thing this site has going for it is the exceptional work... I can't say that I agree with you on the design of the site - like how it pops up a new window... and I find that you end up not knowing how to get back to where you started because of the way the main menu fades away into the background. And the full screen window hides the original window.

    Journeys are wonderful. But it's critical for it to be obvious how to get back to where you started out.

    Speaking of journeys: let me point out one of my all time favs: cmart.design.ru .

    ReplyDelete