Friday, September 4, 2009

It's Out There, All Right

When I first entered the Web, still known as the Internet back then, I was impressed by three things: it was a really cool idea; it made perfect sense, and it was wide open. Anything was possible, and anything was probable. Not unlike the idea of television when it first became widely available. One could imagine the Library at Alexandria, the Louvre, The Smithsonian - these and more, at your fingertips, literally.


I envisioned wild creativity, new vistas beyond the two-dimensional thinking prevalent in television and movies, where the lowest-common denominator was the rule of law. Here, I thought, be dragons, the edge of the world, the Great Jumping-Off Place. OK. I was young, idealistic, and a bit thick. That's my only excuse.

Let's face it - I was wrong. In what is virtually a universe, the truly creative is often lost in the soup of the mundane, the sloppiness, the rude and obnoxious, and the - wait for it - lowest-common denominator. I apologize, but its really not my fault. I have tried to engage in the creative possibilities presented by this universe of potentiality, but have come to despair of it ever being anything more than, well, generalized dreck.

I mean to use this blog to critique the Web. This does not mean simply complaining about everything - there are, after all, far too many ranters out there already. I also mean to help find the true gems, the places where art, creativity, and daring experiments are hidden from general view. Lets face it - none of the so-called search engines out there allow you, the traveler, to both find such gems, but more importantly, to have them come into your consciousness, unbidden, a surprise that shakes and awakes. Not unlike the way radio once did that for music, before corporate playlists took over.

So to that end, I also invite you to submit your own critiques, your own hidden gems. No rants, please, but well-reasoned critiques. The Comments here are moderated, to prevent abuse. I mean this to be a civil discourse. Extra points for rational thought.

Next time, a couple of warm-up sites for your consideration. Until then, happy travels.

1 comment:

  1. Of course there's tons of crap out there. But there are also tons of gems. Relevance is the holy grail (well, one of them, at least). But remember: what's relevant to you might be crap for me. And vice versa.

    I look forward to finding out what's relevant to you. Maybe I'll like some of it too!

    ReplyDelete